Healing Baths Enjoy this video on how to perform intentional bath magick!!Read More
Arielle Ollivier is the Creatrix of Mahina Medicina; a mystery school/sisterhood for Wombyn to feel safe, seen and supported; as they awaken and embody their Divine Feminine Rhythm, Mystery and Sensuality. Arielle is a best selling author and certified intuitive life coach, utilizing her training in ceremony, ritual and magick for transformation. She works closely with flowers and plants, alchemizing essences, tinctures and salves. Arielle invites you to follow her on Instagram @mama.mahina or visit her website: mahinamedicina.com to connect into CommUnity.
Our menstrual blood as We’Moon is sacred.
“It is prophesied that when all women are giving their blood back to the Earth in a sacred way, all the men will come home from war and there will be peace on Earth again.” ~ Hopi Nation
When Matriarchal societies ruled; Women would gather in the Red Tent to bleed. We understood the power of retreating during our flow. Allowing us the space to receive Divine messages through increased intuition.
Practicing rituals to honor the Goddess within.
Unfortunately, in modern Western society this tradition has been dormant. Wombyn have been taught to be discreet and silent about their menstrual cycle – pad or plug it up, as if it’s a plague. This negative connotation disconnects Women from the very fluids that create us.
It is my passion to assist Women in remembering, reconnecting and reclaiming the sacredness of their blood through ritual. Reframing the experience of your period to be one of pleasure, instead of pain.
Below is a ritual invitation for your next cycle;
Day 1 of bleeding: Create an altar
A beautiful visual to honor yourself with.
Create an altar with crystals, feathers, flowers, or whatever feels good to you! Infuse it with love! Say a prayer in gratitude for yourself, Gaia and the Great Goddess.
On my altar are:
Amethyst~Quartz~Spirit Quartz~Rose Quartz
Koa Wood Carved Egg (fertility)
Butterfly wings I’ve collected (transformation)
Rose petals (feminine/love)
Day 2 of bleeding: Womb Massage
Most likely, you hardly touch your stomach with appreciation. Giving yourself a womb massage is a wonderful way to adorn yourself and create a physical connection to your body.
I use a ‘Womb Salve’ and I rub it on my abdomen/womb clockwise. Mugwort, (the main ingredient in the salve) increases circulation of blood. Thus relieving cramps, as it repels stagnation; cold and dampness in the Uterus.
You can use your favorite essential oil too! Clary sage, lavender, rose, and ylang ylang are all supportive oils for moon time.
Day 3 of bleeding: Anoint yourself
This one takes courage, as it’s way beyond comfort for some! It took me about a year of catching my blood before I practiced this.
Transfer blood from menstrual cup into a small bowl or jar. Lovingly say a prayer to yourself, honoring your ability to create life, as you dip your fingers into your blood. Notice any negative thoughts that arise, and ask they be transmuted into love as you take your fingers to your third eye (between the brow) and gently touch them to your forehead to make a heart, star or a crescent moon (as the Avalon priestess would do!).
You can continue to draw on your body, if you feel inclined. I found it liberating to draw on my womb!
Day 4 of bleeding: Offer it to the plants
Menstrual blood carries 385 proteins unique ONLY to menstrual blood. It’s incredibly nourishing to the soil, helping plants grow.
(I love to give it to my Mugwort).
Pick a flower, plant or tree and ask it’s permission to give it your menstrual blood.
(Permission in magic & ritual is KEY)
Transfer the blood collected from your cup, tampon or pad into a cup, jar or vase and dilute it with water.
As you pour into soil, say a blessing or prayer.
(use your Intuition, there is no right or wrong)
It can be: what you are releasing in this cycle, and what you wish for the plant to circulate & grow. The beauty of mother nature is her ability to recycle energy, to create anew!
My prayer is these practical and magical rituals serve you to cultivate a deeper connection to the Earth, the Moon and your Womb.
Ariella Upton is a solitary eclectic witch who was raised by a Christian kitchen witch. She has a wealth of knowledge about herbs, crystals, natural remedies, gardening, history, religion and is currently studying astrology. She works as a PA & manager on Maui, and spends her free time with her magickal family in the forests and beaches they call home. Her shop is on Instagram as @the.celestial.rose where she sells jewelry, artesian smudge sticks, antiques, books and more.
Kitchen Witching 101: Herbs
There are myriad of sub-topics to cover under such a broad category, one I could write pages upon pages (and have!) about herbs, salts, cooking methods, growing a garden, cosmetic uses, remedies to fight ailments… into infinity!
Today I would like to start at the very basics of Kitchen Witchery, the herbs. There are SO MANY herbs we could talk about, all of them wonderful, with their own properties in the physical and metaphysical world. It is HARD to narrow them down, because I love them all, but these top 5 cover a broad spectrum of health, beauty and magickal properties.
Top 5 Must Have Herbs
- Garlic – this is my top #1 all time favorite herb. It does MF everything, from toothaches, warts, inflammation, heart & blood ailments, lowers cholesterol and blood sugar levels, eases headaches, treats type 2 diabetes, fights cancer like a BOSS, yeast infection and so many more! It contains vitamins A, B + C, magnesium, potassium, selenium, allin, sulfur, phosphorus & germanium. In the garden, these plants repel slugs and snails; I plant them as a wall around my garden and it definitely helps. It is easy to propagate, simply take the fattest, outer bulbs, put them in a bit of water (I use toothpicks to keep them partially submerged) and place in a sunny window. Once roots and sprouts appear, they can be potted. Magick wise, garlic has been rumored to avert vampires. While you may never meet a fanged immortal, there are energy vampires aplenty in our world today, so hanging some in your home, placing bulbs near entrances or having a nice little potted one on your porch will help keep those energetic monsters away.
- Ginger – this is another super herb. Use it to treat inflammation, arthritis/muscle pains, poor circulation, high cholesterol, colds/flus, any type of nausea (sea/motion sickness, morning sickness, chemo side effects). Used in cosmetic products, it fights signs of aging, improves skin tone, calms irritation plus it adds a warm fragrance to the skin as well. You can understand why it is so super when you consider it is chock full of Vitamins C & B6, magnesium, manganese, potassium and copper. I used ginger tonic for my babies when they would get sick, from about 9 months old (when it is ok to give them more than just milk). I also use it in my ageless face mist (ginger tonic+rose water+witch hazel.) In the garden, it can be a bit invasive and needs to be kept fairly warm (read: won’t live through winter.) HOWEVER it can be grown inside in troughs. For Magick purposes, the scent of ginger induces passion & enhances sexual energy.
- Mint – just the way it smells could be reason enough to put this at the top. Mint has a cool, refreshing taste making it popular in teas, which are stimulants and also aid in digestion & reducing flatulence. Mints have antiseptic, antiviral and sweat-inducing properties. Drink a cup of mint tea before and after difficult meals or if you have been experiencing digestive issues. I make a ginger-mint tonic for my family members at Thanksgiving, when we all need it most! It is an easy plant to grow (but don’t love it too much, moderate water and sunshine) and will continue to sprout and spread as far as you will let it. I have it planted under my front porch steps, where it gets afternoon light, and it is slowly spreading under my stilted house. Used for prosperity, success and money magick, this herb amplifies spells used for business and finance.
- Rosemary – the smell of this plant is just unbeatable. It’s got me huffing all my little plants. I wonder what my neighbors must think?! Not only does it SMELL good, but when burned, this baby is an actual air cleaner. Around cold and flu season, I am known to place it in little jars of water all over the house, then running through with some dried, bundled, burning rosemary. I swear it eliminates a couple occasions a year of sickness for us (3 kids in and you realize they are practically petri dishes for germs). For cooking, try with almost any veggie, fish and poultry. It’s magickal properties include purification, love, protection and intellectual matters. Rosemary is an excellent aid for memory; keep a small sachet on your person when needed. Rosemary tea before a test or exam will awaken the mind into it’s best functionality.
- Lavender – this one is a gem. Lavender treats colds, flu, staph, strep, skin infections, nail infections, indigestion & IBS, muscle spasms, depression, insomnia, yeast infections, wounds.. just to list a small portion of uses. Practically non-toxic, this is an herb safe to use in cleaners, to burn.. the essential oil is safe to put directly on the skin to heal wounds, cuts, scrapes and bruises. Via aromatherapy, lavender has a powerful calming effect and works wonders against depression (do not use to replace therapy or medication!! Use to aid and enhance current treatments ONLY). Based on folklore, it is said carrying this herb will allow you to see ghosts. Apart from that, use magickally for love, protection and purification. Lavender is a good herb to attract an affair, so be sure you state your intention and know what you want before you start “attracting all the strays” as it were.
Some notes on the subject of using herbs to turn the mundane to magick:
- Intentions are everything. I focus on my intentions when I add herbs to food, asking the Lord and Lady to bring the benefits of the selected herb to all who consume the food.
- Stir clockwise to invoke magickal properties (focus on intention!!)
- Some herbs, such as sage, rosemary, mugwort, lavender and rose can be burned for magickal effects and cleansing.
- Growing herbs in containers is totally viable if you have no space. I have been there, and even still, many of my plants are in pots close to my kitchen door.
Suggested Reading Material:
Magical Herbalism by Scott Cunningham
Do-It-Yourself Herbal Medicine published by Fall River Press
Happy Super New Moon babes!!
This cycle the New Moon falls in the sign of Gemini, the sign of the Twins. This sector of the zodiac represents duality; our subconscious shadow vs our conscious ego.
For today, it’s important to set an intention to carry for the next 29.5 days, where halfway through it will manifest, and for the continuation of the cycle you will sit with your magick, revise, and revisit.
And that’s what Co-Creation is all about! It’s half trust, half commitment. What can you be committed to changing or improving for this cycle? And what kind of magick will support you?
For example, for this moon cycle I’m going to be committed to healthy eating and intentional nourishment. I recently moved my scale back into my bathroom and since I’ve had creepy negative ED whispers from my shadow!
So part of my ritual was to move the scale back under my cabinet and remove my trigger. And purchasing gorgeous raw fruits and veggies to replenish my body from a place of love. I’m committing to replacing bad eating habits with better ones, and leaving the rest up to Universe!
So what’s your intention, and what’s your portion of the work? How can you symbolize this in a ritual setting? What part of your truest desires can you take responsibility for?
Stay committed, and stay witchy ( *)
Baby it’s cold outside and we’re upon the shortest day of the year, known as the Winter Solstice, or by Pagans as Yule. This day marks the point in the year where, from here on out, the days begin to grow and the Sun makes it’s return. The underlying themes of this glorious Pagan holiday…Read More
Living with intention is such a powerful act, but goes overlooked all the time. When our schedules change, when we’re stressed, in fact, unless everything is going perfectly, living intentionally can get pushed to the wayside. It’s easy to meditate every morning and act with purpose when we have money in the bank, a schedule…Read More
This concept was pretty revolutionary to me, because after digging around I found that floating aimlessly was triggering my anxiety and depression. I was trying to control while spiraling out of it, and it wasn’t until I started to live intentionally that I found direction. When I started to put an intention towards my actions, first…Read More
Brought to you by popular demand: your very own, beginners, sex magic ritual! Ok, so first things first, if you are looking to be more sexy, have better sex, or have a lot of sex, this is not where you need to be. Sex magick is a form of manifestation. Sex and orgasms are energy, and…Read More
In a city like New York, it’s hard to not be impulsive. Whether its a last minute night out with friends, an unexpected date, or a spontaneous event, there is always an excuse to go out and do something unplanned. However, when our life becomes all about impulsive behaviors and we lack any sort of routine,…Read More